Civil Cases

Student Legal Services can counsel students on many types of civil (non-criminal) cases, but our main civil focus is on landlord/tenant matters as that’s the type of case we see most often. A more complete list of the types of civil cases we can talk to students about is below.

One fact you should know before calling us about a landlord/tenant matter, however, is that the Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations office also has a part-time attorney on staff who can answer your landlord/tenant questions at no cost. We charge a fee for our services.

Some of the types of civil issues we can help with are as follows.

  • Apartment Repairs
  • Contract Review
  • Credit Report/Credit Card Disputes
  • Debt Collection Demands
  • Divorce/Child Support
  • Eviction Proceedings
  • Insurance Claims
  • Lease Reviews
  • Lemon Laws
  • Restraining Orders 
  • Security Deposit Disputes
  • Simple Document Drafting (such as powers of attorney, basic wills, living wills and Do Not Resuscitate orders)
  • Small Claims Court
  • Wage Disputes